Total knee replacement, also known as total knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure that uses artificial (prosthetic) components to replace specific parts of the knee joint. It is an effective option for alleviating pain and restoring functionality in a knee affected by arthritis. When other treatments such as weight loss, exercise/physical therapy, medications, injections, and bracing have failed to provide relief from knee discomfort caused by arthritis, knee replacement becomes a common recommendation.
Knee replacement surgery, or arthroplasty, is a widely performed procedure that involves the substitution of a damaged, worn, or diseased knee with an artificial joint. The primary objective of this surgery is to resurface the damaged portions of the knee joint and alleviate knee pain that cannot be effectively managed through alternative treatments.
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery
There are three primary types of knee replacement surgery:
- Total Knee Replacement - Total Knee Replacement Surgery involves the removal of the damaged surfaces of the thigh bone (femur) and shin bone (tibia), leaving the joint intact. In addition, the underside of the knee cap (patella) may also be removed and replaced with artificial components. In the replacement joint, there is a metal covering on the thigh bone, a metal plate with a plastic groove on the shin bone, and sometimes a plastic button on the knee cap. This surgical procedure resembles the resurfacing of a damaged tooth, with the knee joint being repaired by a skilled knee replacement surgeon.
- Partial Knee Replacement - For individuals with arthritis affecting only one part of the knee, partial knee replacement may be recommended, particularly for younger patients. This approach offers a faster recovery time and a shorter hospital stay. However, it's important to note that the success of the surgery may not extend beyond 10 years, after which a total knee replacement might be suggested by your orthopaedic doctor.
- Complex Knee Replacement - In cases involving certain knee deformities like bow legs (varus), knock knees (valgus), or windswept legs, a Complex Knee Replacement is required. These situations demand a highly experienced surgeon who is proficient in managing such cases and has considerable expertise in revision joint replacement surgeries as well. Refer to the images below for visual examples.
When Should You Consult the Best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Rajouri Garden, Delhi?
Consulting the best knee replacement surgeon in Delhi, Dr Raesh Malhotra, is essential when you experience certain signs and symptoms related to knee pain and dysfunction that significantly impact your quality of life. Here are some indications for when you should consider seeking the expertise of a knee replacement surgeon:
- Persistent Knee Pain - If you have been experiencing chronic and persistent knee pain that is not alleviated by conservative treatments such as medications, physical therapy, or injections, it may be time to consult a knee replacement surgeon. This is especially true if the pain is severe and interferes with your daily activities and mobility.
- Limited Range of Motion - Difficulty in fully extending or flexing your knee joint can indicate underlying knee problems that may require surgical intervention. If you find it challenging to perform regular activities, such as climbing stairs or getting up from a seated position, due to limited range of motion, consulting a knee replacement surgeon is recommended.
- Swelling and Inflammation - If your knee is constantly swollen, tender, or inflamed, it could be a sign of an underlying joint condition, such as arthritis, that may require surgical intervention. Persistent inflammation may indicate joint damage that can be addressed through knee replacement surgery.
- Functional Limitations - When knee pain and dysfunction significantly limit your ability to perform everyday tasks, such as walking, standing, or participating in recreational activities, it is advisable to consult a knee replacement surgeon. Inability to engage in activities you enjoy due to knee pain can have a negative impact on your overall well-being and quality of life.
- Failed Non-Surgical Treatments - If you have exhausted conservative treatment options, including physical therapy, medication, weight management, and joint injections, without achieving satisfactory pain relief or functional improvement, it may be time to consult a knee replacement surgeon. Persistent failure of non-surgical treatments suggests that surgical intervention, such as knee replacement, may be the most appropriate next step.
Why Should You Go with Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement surgery is a medical procedure recommended for individuals with severe knee pain and limited mobility caused by conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or knee injury. Here are some reasons why you should consider knee replacement surgery in Delhi:
- Pain relief - Knee replacement surgery can provide significant pain relief for individuals who have exhausted non-surgical treatments such as medications, physical therapy, or assistive devices. The surgery replaces damaged or worn-out knee joint surfaces with artificial components, which can alleviate pain and discomfort.
- Improved mobility and function - Severe knee pain and stiffness can greatly limit mobility and hinder daily activities such as walking, climbing stairs, or even getting up from a chair. Knee replacement surgery can restore mobility, allowing individuals to regain independence and participate in activities they may have had to avoid due to pain.
- Enhanced quality of life - Chronic knee pain can have a significant impact on one's quality of life, affecting physical and mental well-being. By addressing the underlying cause of the pain and improving function, knee replacement surgery can improve overall quality of life, allowing individuals to engage in a more active and fulfilling lifestyle.
- Long-term durability - Knee replacement surgery is generally a long-lasting solution. Modern artificial knee joints are designed to be durable and can provide relief for 15 to 20 years or more, depending on various factors such as individual activity levels and implant type.
- Advances in surgical techniques - Over the years, surgical techniques and technology for knee replacement surgery have advanced significantly. Minimally invasive approaches are now available, which involve smaller incisions, reduced tissue trauma, and potentially faster recovery times compared to traditional open surgery.
- Personalised treatment - Knee replacement surgery can be tailored to the individual's specific needs and condition. Orthopaedic or knee replacement surgeons work closely with patients to evaluate their overall health, lifestyle, and goals before recommending surgery. This personalised approach ensures that the benefits of surgery outweigh the potential risks.
However, it's important to note that knee replacement surgery is not suitable for everyone. The decision to undergo surgery should be made in consultation with a qualified orthopaedic surgeon who can assess your specific condition and discuss the potential risks and benefits.
What to Expect During and After Knee Replacement in Delhi
Knee replacement surgery is done to relieve pain and restore function in individuals with severe knee damage or osteoarthritis. The surgery involves replacing the damaged knee joint with a prosthetic implant. Understanding what to expect during and after knee replacement surgery can help you prepare for the procedure and manage your recovery effectively.
During the surgery, the patient is placed under anaesthesia, ensuring they are comfortable and pain-free throughout the procedure. The knee replacement surgeon in Delhi makes an incision over the knee, removes the damaged portions of the joint, and replaces them with artificial components made of metal alloys, high-grade plastics, or ceramic material. The prosthetic components are carefully aligned and securely fixed to the bone, providing stability and functionality to the new joint. The incision is then closed with sutures or staples.
Following the surgery, the patient is typically taken to a recovery room for close monitoring. Pain management medications and antibiotics may be administered to control pain and prevent infections. Patients are encouraged to engage in physical therapy soon after surgery to promote blood circulation, prevent stiffness, and enhance muscle strength and joint mobility.
In the immediate postoperative period, patients can expect some discomfort and swelling around the surgical site. Pain medications, cold therapy, and elevation of the leg can help alleviate these symptoms. A drainage tube may be temporarily placed to drain excess fluids from the surgical site. The length of hospital stay after knee replacement surgery can vary but typically ranges from 1 to 4 days, depending on individual circumstances.
Once discharged, patients are usually provided with a set of instructions to follow during the recovery phase. Physical therapy plays a crucial role in knee replacement recovery. Initially, patients may need a walking aid, such as crutches or a walker, to assist with mobility. Over time, with the guidance of a physical therapist, patients gradually increase their weight-bearing activities and exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint. Rehabilitation exercises may include range-of-motion exercises, stretching, and strengthening exercises.
Full recovery after knee replacement surgery can take several months, and it is important to be patient and follow the rehabilitation plan diligently. Pain and swelling gradually subside as the healing progresses. Most individuals experience significant improvement in their knee function and reduced pain after surgery.
After knee replacement surgery, it is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle to ensure the longevity of the prosthetic joint. Regular exercise and weight management are crucial to reduce stress on the new joint and prevent complications. It is also important to follow up with the surgeon for routine check-ups and monitor the function of the prosthetic joint over time.
Complications after knee replacement surgery are rare but can include infection, blood clots, implant loosening, or nerve damage. If any unusual symptoms or complications arise, such as severe pain, redness, warmth, or swelling around the knee, it is important to seek medical attention promptly.
Knee Replacement Surgery Cost in Delhi
Knee replacement surgery is a medical procedure performed to replace a damaged or worn-out knee joint with an artificial joint made of metal, plastic, or a combination of both. The knee replacement surgery cost in Delhi (India) can vary depending on several factors, including the hospital or clinic chosen, the type of implant used, the surgeon's expertise, the extent of the procedure, and additional medical expenses.
In Delhi, the cost of knee replacement surgery typically ranges from INR 2,50,000 to INR 5,00,000 ($3,400 to $6,800) for a single knee. This cost includes pre-operative investigations, the surgery itself, hospitalisation charges, anaesthesia, and post-operative care. However, it is important to note that the cost may vary among different hospitals and clinics.
Some factors that contribute to the overall cost of knee replacement surgery include the type of implant used (standard or high-end), the choice of hospital (government, private, or specialised orthopaedic centre), the room category (general ward, semi-private, or private room), the duration of hospital stay, the surgeon's fees, and any additional medical expenses such as medication, physiotherapy, or rehabilitation.
It is advisable to consult with multiple hospitals or clinics in Delhi to get a comprehensive understanding of the cost and to choose a facility that suits your budget and provides high-quality care. In addition, it is essential to consider the surgeon's experience and reputation to ensure a successful outcome and a smooth recovery from knee replacement surgery.
Why Should You Consult Dr Rajesh Malhotra for Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi?
Dr. Rajesh Malhotra is the best knee replacement surgeon in Delhi. As the best knee surgeon in Delhi, he has done a large number of knee replacement surgeries and assisted patients get rid of their knee pain and have enhanced quality of life with improved mobility. Here are more points why you should consult him for your knee replacement surgery in Delhi:
- Several years of experience
- 24x7 medical support
- Pick up & drop facility to patients
- Easy payment options
- Prompt response
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Post discharge home care
- Personalised approach